Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a serious and potentially fatal illness caused by toxin-producing strains of staphylococcus aureus bacterium.

Symptoms can include: High fever, diarrhea, vomiting, fainting or rash during your period or shortly after. If you experience any of the above symptoms, remove your menstrual cup and contact your doctor immediately.

TSS has been linked to the high absorbency and prolonged use of tampons but, but using a menstrual cup does not exclude you from TSS risk.

Although the occurrence of TSS is rare in menstrual cup and much lower than in tampon use, we recommend for you to remain cautious and reduce the risk by following these instructions:

- Remove and empty your Ruby Cup at least every 12 hours during your period;

- Always make sure that you have clean hands when inserting and removing your Ruby Cup;

- Make sure to keep your nails short when handling your Ruby Cup to avoid scratching your vagina;

- Disinfect your Ruby Cup after every period by boiling it for 5 minutes;

- Do not use any internal vaginal devices if you have previously been diagnosed with Toxic Shock Syndrome;

For more info please check: http://www.toxicshock.com