Can I get Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) from using a Ruby Cup? | Ruby Cup

Can I get Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) from using a Ruby Cup?

TSS is a serious and potentially fatal illness caused by toxin-producing strains of staphylococcus aureus bacterium. It can affect children, men and non-menstruating women, however, menstrual TSS has so far been linked to the high absorbency and prolonged use of tampons. Using a menstrual cup does not exclude you from TSS risk. Although the occurrence of TSS is rare, we recommend for you to remain cautious and strictly follow the instructions for use to reduce your risk:

  • Remove and empty your Ruby Cup at least every 12 hours during your period.

  • Always make sure that you have clean hands when inserting and removing your Ruby Cup.

  • Make sure to keep your nails short when handling your Ruby Cup to avoid scratches in the vagina.

  • Disinfect your Ruby Cup after every period.

  • Do not use any internal vaginal devices if you have previously been diagnosed with Toxic Shock Syndrome

Please note that symptoms of TSS often resemble flu symptoms and can include: Sudden high fever, diarrhoea, vomiting, fainting or rash like a sunburn during your period or shortly after. If you experience any of the above symptoms, remove your menstrual cup and contact your doctor immediately.

For more info please check: http://www.toxicshock.com